Save up to 75%
Get a Free Insurance Quote Now!
  •  Privacy & Security Protected

Wisconsin Car Insurance Regulations & Required Coverage

Each driver in Wisconsin is required to maintain car insurance coverage. Wisconsin has minimum liability limits of 50/100/15 and 100/300 Uninsured Motorist (UM) limits. Since the state follows a tort legal system, it's recommended to get additional coverage for your vehicle. A tort system simply means that after any car accident, someone needs to be named at fault and, along with their insurance company, will be held responsible to cover the costs resulting from any damages and injuries incurred by the accident. Required Coverage All personal vehicles in Wisconsin require the following liability coverage requirements:
  • Bodily Injury
  • Property Damage
Additionally, Wisconsin requires the following coverage:
  • Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury Coverage
Minimum <?php echo $stateName; ?> Car Insurance Requirements Bodily Injury Liability $25,000 / $50,000 Limit Property Damage Liability $10,000 Limit Uninsured/Underinsured Bodily Injury $25,000 / $50,000 Limit Additional insurance coverage can include:
  • Comprehensive and Collision Coverage
Comprehensive and collision coverage can pay for damages not covered by your other coverages. Comprehensive coverage will compensate you for costs (above your deductible) related to incidents excluding collisions. This can include events such as having your car broken into, stolen or damaged by mother nature such as hail or flooding. Collision will help cover car repairs if your vehicle is involved in an accident. Comprehensive is important for vehicles listed as the most stolen vehicles in Wisconsin, but is good coverage to have for any vehicle. Proof of Insurance and Financial Responsibility Establishing proof of insurance and financial responsibility
  • Get a standard liability car insurance policy
  • Get an SR-22 certificate from a Wisconsin licensed insurance company
  • Make a cash deposit of $60,000 with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
  • Post a surety bond for $60,000 from an insurance company licensed to do business in Wisconsin
Required Documentation You can show proof of insurance with WisDOT by providing them an SR-22 form from your insurance company. You must maintain proof of insurance and financial responsibility:
  • To receive an occupational license or to reinstate your license if its been previously revoked
  • To reinstate after suspension if suspension occurs under the Wisconsin uninsured motorists/safety responsibility law
  • For any driver under 18 years old
Failure to Maintain Financial Responsibility Penalties If you are in an accident and are not able to show proof of insurance, WisDOT will investigate and could suspend your license or registration. Wisconsin Insurance AgentsMilwaukee Car Insurance | Madison Car Insurance | Green Bay Car Insurance | Kenosha Car Insurance | Racine Car Insurance | Appleton Car Insurance | Waukesha Car Insurance | Eau Claire Car Insurance | Oshkosh Car Insurance | Janesville Car Insurance | West Allis Car Insurance | La Crosse Car Insurance | Sheboygan Car Insurance | Wauwatosa Car Insurance | Fond Du Lac Car Insurance | New Berlin Car Insurance | Wausau Car Insurance | Brookfield Car Insurance